802Projects.com

1995 Toyota Supra

A Supra has always been high up on my list of cars to own. I've been a member of SupraForums.com for over 8 years so I could read up on them. I decided it was time to commit to one. I had a pretty strict criteria. Had to be a white, pre-96, targa, rust free, clean title, automatic. I wanted a pre-96 so I do not have to deal with the strict ODBII emissions, and I wanted an auto because I wanted to T56 Magnum swap it. The Automatic rear diff is a better ratio than a true 6 speed. It also guarantees LSD for my year range. Plus automatic Supras cost less. The V160 6 speed transmissions are good, but parts are becoming more scarce. I good V160 can cost you $7000 alone. Sure enough one showed up on SupraForums that met my criteria. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but it already had some of the modifications done to it that I wanted so I justified the price. Plus it was 3 hours from my house which is very unusual.

Picking up the car:

The car came with with a bunch of bolt-on already (Greddy front mount, Turbonetics 61mm tubo with PHR manifold, PHR stage 1 fuel upgrade kit, Megan Coilovers etc..) My plans for it are pretty simple as the car is already in really good shape. It will be a few months before I can really start digging into it as I need to finish some house projects first.

Here are some more shots of it. One thing I learned is that the targa actually unbolts with 5 allen heads. Thanks Fast and the Furious for making me believe the targa could just pop off.

The fuel pump gauge was an easy fix. The car came with 2 oem Supra Fuel pumps attached to the stock assembly. This makes the assembly more difficult to put down into the tank. Someone must have bent the hanger in the process which caused the needle to lose contact with it's grid. I was able to bend it back. Someone also used a silicone coupler in between the fuel pumps which was a bad idea. The gas started to break it apart. I spent some time cleaning pieces of silicone out of my gas tank. I ordered a walbro fuel pump cover to use as a spacer instead. I also replaced all the hose as one had a slit in it. I had to order it online as none of our local auto parts stores carried submersible hose. Two stores didn't even know what it was:/ While I was at it I bought some legit fuel hose clamps too vs the worm clamps that were on it.

The other thing I noticed was the basket hose was not connected to the bottom of the assembly. In the bottom of the tank is a boxy looking thing that the fuel pumps dip into. Under hard cornering all the fuel can slosh to one side of the tank. The fuel basket helps keep fuel available for the pumps. The fuel return line is supposed to also drain to the basket. The hose was disconnected. Probably because it was a pain to hook up and fit the assembly with 2 fuel pumps in the way. I removed the float arm and was able to re-attach it after the fuel pumps were dipped half way into the tank. Everything is hooked back up and working as it should now.

I cleaned up the wiring for the fuel pump too. This is a Tyco 75A relay as both fuel pumps can draw up to 30A under boost. While it's a nice relay, the postive leads that bolt on are exposed. Just removing the panel in front of it, I managed to bump it against the chassis and cause some sparks. I used some audio terminal covers to protect the wiring and zip tied it away from anything metal. I also cut one of the stud bolts shorter so it didn't poke out farther than it needed to.

My carpet has some foot where on the drivers side. I figured I might as well order new oem carpet while its still available. I've never been a fan of aftermarket carpet fitment on any car so I'm glad to find new OEM stuff.

Both rear wheel bearings were bad when I bought the car. The back drivers side was the worse. The hub itself had enough wear to it that the new bearing could freely slide on. I decided to just replace both hubs for peace of mind.

Shortly after buying the car Joel from Grannas Racing announced on facebook that he was having a T56 Magnum Group Buy sale. It would be his lowest prices ever on the packages. It was bad timing financially, but I made it work. I received the kit and had it installed in about 24 hours. Everything fit really well. I went with the OS Giken 3 disc clutch. I've only driven the car around the driveway as it's winter here. The swap process is documented well at Grannas Racing, but here is some of my feedback regarding the install:

Here are some pictures of the install. I left the interior panels off for now as I'm going to be sending away my climate control and cluster for an led conversion.